A guardianship is needed when a loved one has lost the ability to make medical and personal decisions for themselves and does not have a valid Health Care Proxy in place. A conservatorship is needed when a loved one has lost the ability to manage their own finances and does not have a valid Durable Power of Attorney in place.
Applying to be a loved ones guardian and/or conservator can be difficult, time-consuming, frustrating and emotionally draining. In addition, once you have been appointed guardian and/or conservator, you are required to file inventories, accountings and financial plans with the Probate Court.
Our guardianship and conservatorship services include:
- Obtaining guardianships and conservatorships
- Acquiring and maintaining corporate bonds
- Preparation and filing of inventories, accounts and financial plans
- Petitioning the court for permission to create an estate plan for individuals already under guardianship and conservatorship
- Guidance to appointed guardians and conservators regarding their legal rights, duties and authority